Joly hasn't been waiting for Marius to come back to Milliways with news of Paris. Joly has been, with dedication and great focus, Not Waiting At All, because of course who knows when it might happen, waiting would be foolish. He has put it entirely out of his mind, several times a day.
So when he sees Marius in the Library, he doesn't quite throw himself into the chair across the table. It's only a reasonably fast sitting-down. The chair barely rocks on its legs at all.
"Marius! You're back! Well, of course you're back, or I couldn't be greeting you, that's--how long has it been, on your side? Have you had time--did you manage to see Musichetta?"
It's okay if you didn't, Marius! Joly will probably only implode very slightly.
So when he sees Marius in the Library, he doesn't quite throw himself into the chair across the table. It's only a reasonably fast sitting-down. The chair barely rocks on its legs at all.
"Marius! You're back! Well, of course you're back, or I couldn't be greeting you, that's--how long has it been, on your side? Have you had time--did you manage to see Musichetta?"
It's okay if you didn't, Marius! Joly will probably only implode very slightly.
no subject
Date: 15 Aug 2016 19:09 (UTC)"Yes, I did."
no subject
Date: 15 Aug 2016 19:17 (UTC)"Is she--" What? Alive, well, ill, married to a lawyer, training large cats for the circus? Too many options! "How is she, how was--everything?"
no subject
Date: 15 Aug 2016 19:36 (UTC)Lesgle hadn't been far off in the stacks, and as soon as he hears their voices--hears Joly's voice and Marius's murmur--he comes loping along with a look of casual interest.
(Casual only because he does everything casually, of course: in fact his eyes are fixed quite sharply on Pontmercy's face, trying to read it.)
no subject
Date: 15 Aug 2016 21:06 (UTC)no subject
Date: 15 Aug 2016 21:18 (UTC)Confusion, and worry. "--Only well?" What's he missing? "Is she-- Marius, was there something wrong? Is she-- was she not happy, well, reasonably happy? Was there--oh! Bossuet!" The thank god in the greeting is only implied.
no subject
Date: 15 Aug 2016 21:28 (UTC)no subject
Date: 16 Aug 2016 17:31 (UTC)no subject
Date: 16 Aug 2016 17:45 (UTC)...sorry, Joly. You're stuck with a very useless messenger.
no subject
Date: 16 Aug 2016 18:35 (UTC)"Thank you, Marius, that's--well. At her old apartment, then? I suppose that means she didn't--that there wasn't any delay, in things being set right for her. That's good. Was she--had she been able to keep living alone, with no, er, roommates? I know she didn't want to--to end up sharing rooms."
With another person, one more open, one who'd shown any understanding that a man might want more word about his mistress than "she's fine", Joly would be a little less delicate in asking the obvious, the most pressing question- -was there a child, an unexpected final tie beyond his own selfish feelings, a real duty he'd be bound to answer for even from Milliways, if he could. But Marius' apparent disinterest in the matter--maybe natural, he'd never been interested in anyone else's romances, after all, didn't know Musichetta herself before this-- prompts a little of the old caution about opinions and social judgements, not for Joly's own sake, but for Musichetta, now.
Still--even if Marius didn't make the connection, he'd have noticed a child in the apartment, surely. It's simply not big enough to miss such a thing. So hopefully that's enough of a prompt.
no subject
Date: 16 Aug 2016 19:08 (UTC)"Roommates? I don't know. Perhaps? She was alone when I arrived."
no subject
Date: 16 Aug 2016 19:22 (UTC)no subject
Date: 16 Aug 2016 19:59 (UTC)no subject
Date: 16 Aug 2016 20:08 (UTC)Joly's smile is small but genuine. "That's all right." She's all right. "--No, that's not mourning, it's just what grisettes wear. Good--good!" He means it, more than he can really express or even let himself feel yet.
"Thank you, Marius,truly. I'm glad to know things are--are settled fairly for her."
He still hasn't let go of Bossuet's hand, but his grip is lighter, now.
no subject
Date: 16 Aug 2016 20:33 (UTC)"Of course. I was very happy to do it."
no subject
Date: 19 Aug 2016 21:42 (UTC)But quite reverie has never been Joly's style, really, and he brightens up now. "Ah! But you're married now, you understand. And you must think I'm very rude, interrogating you without so much as asking how you've been--but how have you been, you and your dear wife? If Monsieur Fauchelevent still doing well, in Paris? No relapses, no further illness?" The last is professional concern, as much as friendly chatter.
no subject
Date: 20 Aug 2016 03:33 (UTC)no subject
Date: 20 Aug 2016 04:05 (UTC)"Oh, it was really the tools I had here-- any doctor might have diagnosed him back in Paris, but not had the equipment to treat him. I saw several such cases myself, you know, when I was studying. Oh, what I'd have given to have half the equipment Milliways does--or be able to share it with everyone there, now, somehow." He huffs , frustrated. "I know I couldn't even do more than, than pass on a few basic principles, to a city without even electricity yet--they could never make some of these machines, or keep them running." In a word, arrgh. "But others could be made in a way with the tools we have--if only anyone with the power to put the idea forward would!"
This is not a suggestion, or demand, only familiar frustration, from his experiences in Paris and Milliways both.
no subject
Date: 20 Aug 2016 04:08 (UTC)no subject
Date: 20 Aug 2016 11:47 (UTC)Joly laughs, rueful. "Those of us with medical training would have a fine fight to advance these things. So long as our scientific establishments are run the way are, it's very few men indeed that hold such a position." And only men, at that-- a thought that doesn't yet entirely bother him, but does occur to him, now, where it would not have two years before.
"I should hardly be impatient for not knowing how to change from beyond the grave a situation that frustrated better minds than mine in life." He reaches out quickly to press Marius' hand, in thanks and reassurance. "Thank you for everything you have done."
no subject
Date: 23 Aug 2016 02:51 (UTC)